Reporting/Supervisor: Senior Director, Markets
Location: Mexico City
Travel: 40% travel
Contract: Contractor with possibility to transition to permanent employee
Acceso (www.acceso.org) is a social enterprise that is revolutionizing food systems in Latin America and the Caribbean to put smallholder farmers first. Acceso’s mission is to create fundamental and lasting positive economic change in the lives of rural smallholder farming families. Our entrepreneurial model provides smallholder farmers with a sustainable way to participate in formalized markets, enabling them to work themselves out of poverty with dignity and to prosper. Acceso currently operates a portfolio of three social businesses in Colombia, Haiti and El Salvador and an agtech tool (Extensio) founded in Mexico. Across our agribusinesses, we have impacted more than 26,000 smallholder farmers and farm workers, generating more than $60m in farmer income to date.
About this role:
Acceso is hiring a Business Development Manager to conduct value chain / market assessment and strategic plans for the incorporation and kick-off of Acceso social agribusiness in Mexico. Key focus areas include value chain mapping, evaluation, business modelling, market analysis, impact assessment. The role will work closely with the Senior Director of Markets and will play a key role in scaling Acceso’s operations across Mexico.
The duties listed below are intended as illustrations of the types of duties that may be performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this position. Acceso expects the candidate to develop both desktop and field work as needed. Acceso will provide support and methodologies from its service center for the candidate to achieve the desired objectives.
- Extensio Rollout
- Research and prospect potential Extensio clients (NGOs, research institutes, government agencies, agribusinesses) in Mexico by pitching Extensio through calls and meetings; maintain ongoing pipeline
- Prepare client proposals and MOUs
- Lead rollout of Extensio to new partners, particularly in the kick-off phase, working closely together with the business development, customer success, and content/tech teams
- Value Chain Assessment
- Analyze the agricultural sector by region/crop, identifying high potential crops the from production and social impact perspective.
- Map actors in the development and agribusiness environment, by region of operation
- Determine highest potential crops, producers, and regions to enable a successful sourcing strategy
- Assess current supply, agriculture and agribusiness sectors dynamics
- Detailed assessment of local and international markets, buyer needs, specifications and requirements, including initial purchase commitment targets by buyer
- Produce an analysis of the F&V / F&S value chains from production to transportation and trading, detailing the roles of each segment of the chain, major players, and the relationships between them.
- Evaluate capacity, cost structure, strengths, opportunities, challenges and current incentives of the key players, developing an in-depth understanding of the agribusiness sector Mexico and relevant issues
- Develop a sourcing strategySocial impact assessment including detailed community needs analysis, projected jobs created and income generated and impact on resilience, gender and climate
- Multi-year business plan including financial model, rollout plan, key partner agreements and financial and social impact targets that support future business proof of concept
- Additional Responsibilities
- Identify requirements to set up a legal entity in country
- Research potential grant/funding opportunities for Acceso/Extensio
- Support with grant applications related to Acceso/Extensio
- Research potential speaking and presentation opportunities; represent Acceso at relevant conferences
Other Skills and Attributes:
- Hard Skills
- 7+ years’ experience in business development, business operations, sales or management consulting, with ability to assess business opportunities, secure sales and/or partnerships deals
- Bachelor’s degree in business or management preferred
- Advanced user of MS Office Suite applications;
- Exceptional communications skills, both in-person and writing
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Strong project management skills and ability to work independently; problem solver
- Soft Skills
- Team player
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit and business sense
- Work/volunteering experience with rural or low income communities is ideal
- Passion and commitment to social impact and improving the lives of smallholder farmers
- Language skills: Fluency in Spanish and English
To apply, please submit your CV/Resume and Cover Letter (all in English) in the form below. We are trying to bring someone onboard as soon as possible, so please do not hesitate to apply!