Senior General Accountant
Reporting/Supervisor: Sr. Finance Manager, Acceso
Location: Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Contract: Permanent employee following trial period
Acceso (www.acceso.org) is a social enterprise that is revolutionizing food systems in Latin America and the Caribbean to put smallholder farmers first. Acceso’s mission is to create fundamental and lasting positive economic change in the lives of rural smallholder farming families. Our entrepreneurial model provides smallholder farmers with a sustainable way to participate in formalized markets, enabling them to work themselves out of poverty with dignity and to prosper. Acceso currently operates a portfolio of three social businesses in Colombia, Haiti and El Salvador and an ag-tech tool (Extensio) founded in Mexico. Across our agribusinesses, we have impacted more than 26,000 smallholder farmers and farm workers, generating more than $60m in farmer income to date.
About this role:
Acceso is seeking a General Accountant with a collaborative, positive, proactive attitude, strong communication skills, and a passion for accounting, who strive to deliver outstanding results. He or She will provide support and leadership for the accounting team to help them be successful in their roles. The General Accountant is a key member of Acceso Haiti team and is responsible for enforcing proper accounting policies and processes and providing financial analysis support.
- Financial Management
- In depth knowledge of accounting, G/L entries, and local tax rules
- Oversee all out-going expenses and ensure management approval of spend.
- Ensure proper and timely weekly close of Sales and Margin, as well as monthly close of financial accounts.
- Internal and external financial report preparation and explanation of results with management
- Assess performance and define improvement plans, if needed, with manager.
- Drive process improvements and efficiency within accounting department team.
- Support general manager in costing and inventory management.
- Ensure an efficient use of the ERP (NetSuite) and streamline reporting.
- Administer oversight of bank accounts
- Manage cash availability and track use of restricted and unrestricted funds.
- Preparation of Financial Statements
- Perform activity-related accounting transactions according to the organization’s financial and accounting systems and pre-established standards.
- Prepare timely and accurate financial statements and with input from the rest of the accounting team.
- Prepare payment of staff payroll, including salary and benefits.
- Assess payments from providers and to clients, guaranteeing it is timely.
- Provide A/R and A/P and Cash Balance data for weekly/monthly cash reports
- Data Verification and Analysis
- Prepare and ensure that financial documents are delivered on time to management.
- Ensure the reliability of all entries and accounting information.
- Complete daily, weekly and monthly reconciliations, along with research and follow up of unreconciled items.
- Establish invoices for customers and follow up on payments.
- Evaluate, analyze, and improve terms of A/P when possible and maximize recovery of A/R
- Analyze financial statements for discrepancies and other issues that should be brought to the attention of management.
- Develop memos and track their implementation.
- Oversee all Activities related to Accounting
- Enforce proper accounting policies and processes for the classification of administrative, accounting and financial records.
- Ensure team members are held accountable for their deliverables and deadlines.
- Delegate accounting and invoicing to the junior accountants and ensure proper entries are made in a timely manner.
- Coordinate weekly, monthly audits and help managers conduct audits.
- Develop and deploy rules and procedures for appropriate reporting and internal controls.
- Lead multi-day audits and site visits throughout the country and abroad.
Other Skills and Attributes
- Minimum of four (4) years of experience in accounting. (2 years of management experience/ 4 years of Accounting Operations experience). Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting (master’s degree preferred).
- Proven track record of experience in supervising, leading, and coaching a team.
- Experience in agribusiness or rural development projects, specifically in food industry
- Strong track record with recovery of Accounts Receivable
- Mastery of accounting and office software: Word, Excel and PowerPoint, NetSuite
- Advanced user of MS Office Suite applications.
- Oral and written fluency in French, Kreyol and English.
- Detail-oriented and able to effectively meet deadlines and achieve results.
- Be available for multi-day missions within the country and potentially abroad.
To apply, please attach your Resume/CV with the subject “Accounting Manager – Your Name” not later than June 9th, 2023.
For more information about Acceso and careers with us, please visit Acceso.org/careers.
Acceso is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.