We believe every Haitian should be fed and Haitians can feed Haiti
Grant Writer, Haiti Food Systems Alliance
Reporting/Supervisor: Senior Director, Business Development
Location: Port-au-Prince, Haiti strongly preferred. Remote a possibility.
Start Date: ASAP
About the Haiti Food Systems Alliance: In addition to the ongoing global pandemic, Haiti is struggling with a number of growing issues – increasing inflation, growing food insecurity, climate change and limited investments in the agricultural sector leading to lower farmer yields and incomes. The Haiti Food Systems Alliance (Alliance) is a new, locally-led approach to change how Haiti responds to these issues. The Alliance consists of partners that have been working together for years and are now formalizing efforts to scale and expand activities to transform Haiti’s food systems from the ground up.
About Acceso: Acceso’s (www.acceso.org) mission is to create fundamental and lasting economic change in the lives of rural smallholder farming families. Acceso’s social enterprise model provides smallholder farmers with a sustainable way to participate in formalized markets, enabling them to work themselves out of poverty with dignity and to prosper. Acceso currently operates in Colombia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti and Mexico, supporting more than 25,000 smallholder farmers. In 2022, Acceso played a leadership role in forming the Haiti Food Systems Alliance.
About this role: As the Alliance’s first dedicated Grant Writer, this position will play a pivotal role in securing the necessary grant support to fuel ambitious growth goals. Over the coming ten years, the Alliance will impact the lives of tens of thousands of farming families in Haiti, while creating new opportunities and catalyzing new investment in rural communities throughout the country.
- Manage the grant application process for the Alliance (70%)
- Manage submission timelines
- Draft, edit, and submit written grant proposals with consultation of senior staff
- Work closely with the Alliance Coordinator to collect information from Alliance members to influence grant proposals and applications
- Assist in the Alliance grant reporting process (25%)
- Manage various grant timelines for existing grants;
- Collect content from teams and synthesize information for summary reports.
- Prospecting (5%)
- Search for potential funding streams for the Alliance
The experience and qualifications we are looking for:
- Hard Skills
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 4+ years of experience in professional writing required.
- Previous experience working in Haiti required. Experience in fundraising or nonprofits related to community development, agriculture, or livelihoods preferred.
- Soft Skills
- Genuine belief that Haitian youth, women, farmers and organizations have the knowledge and power to transform food systems and uplift rural communities.
- Passion for writing.
- Self-starter that’s able to work independently
- Entrepreneur-minded and creative (out-of-the-box thinker)
- Detail oriented and meticulously organized
- Flexible, comfortable with uncertainty
- Results-oriented decision maker
- Strong team player and values-oriented
- Language skills: Oral and written fluency in English, French, & Creole required.
To apply, please send your Resume, Cover Letter and 2 Work Samples to HR@Acceso.org with the subject “Grant Writer, Haiti – Your Name“. You should be the primary author of the work samples, which can either be short writing/research examples, fundraising proposals, or journalistic essays. Your work will not be shared outside of our hiring team, but please sanitize any details that may be confidential.
Acceso is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org